Jonny McCoy, Esq. Founder
Jonny McCoy is the founder and managing partner of The Law Office of Jonny D. McCoy located in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Jonny grew up in the heart of Myrtle Beach and attended Myrtle Beach High School where he was a standout athlete and community leader where he was given the nickname “The Real McCoy”. He attended the University of South Carolina in 2001 where he obtained his Bachelor’s degree from the renowned Darla Moore School of Business. While attending undergraduate, Jonny was president of Sigma Nu Fraternity as well as a Senator representing the Business School. He went on to receive his Juris Doctorate from the University of South Carolina Law School in 2008. Following law school, he worked as an insurance defense attorney for Collins and Lacy representing clients ranging from AIG and Travelers Insurance to small businesses and restaurants.
In 2013, Jonny opened The Law Office of Jonny D. McCoy to follow his desire to stand up for the little guy and for the rights of those in his hometown community and beyond. Jonny has a reputation for his undeniable passion for justice. Having been a victim, personally, of police misconduct and the ensuing battle against the insurance company, Jonny relates directly to his client’s who feel violated and injured through no fault of their own. In addition to personal injury, civil rights and wrongful death cases, Jonny also has extensive experience in the courtroom as a criminal defense trial attorney. He has tried cases resulting in not guilty verdicts ranging from Murder/Attempted Murder, Rape/Criminal Sexual Conduct, Assault and Battery of a High and Aggravated Nature, Burglary in the 1st degree and so on.
His passion and reputation have led to a large variety of clients ranging from major insurance companies, professional athletes, reality and TV stars as well as public officials. On top of his list of accolades and client’s, Jonny has had cases featured in The NY Times, The Washington Post and other major media outlets around the country.
In addition to practicing law, Jonny is also frequently called upon to give his opinion as a legal analyst for nearly every major cable news network along the Grand Strand and Pee Dee. (View Jonny's insight into the Moorer case as seen on WPDE.)
He maintains many strong community ties by serving on the board of the Hope House of Myrtle Beach as well as a community liaison for the Kicks and Ties Gala benefitting inner city youth. Jonny has received awards and recognition from the City of Myrtle Beach for his continued commitment to advocating and helping the youth of our community. He has also been honored and the keynote speaker at an assembly held at Myrtle Beach High School for overcoming adversity and maintaining a positive community impact.
When Jonny is not working he enjoys spending time with his wife, Cia, their beloved blue pitbull “Rhea”, and can usually be found on the river, beach or at home rooting for the Gamecocks.
- Myrtle Beach man gives his account of police shooting that left him paralyzed
- Former CCU Quarterback Tyler Thigpen Charged with DUI
- Former Myrtle Beach Police Officer Pleads Not Guilty on Federal Racketeering, Money Laundering, Conspiracy Charges
- Horry County Judge Sentences former Myrtle Manor star Taylor Burt to Probation
- Grand Strand Bars have DUI Lawyer's Ad on Wristbands
- Lawsuit over 2009 Five Points arrest settled for $300,000
- Myrtle Beach man shot nine times by police settles with solicitor, some officers for $2.75 million
- The South Carolina police files: Gunslinging raids, coverups and magical dog sniffs
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Workers Compensation
- Business Litigation
Qualifications & Honors:
- Prior to law school, Mr. McCoy worked for the South Carolina House of Representatives as an aid to the House Judiciary Committee.
- Has been honored by several local philanthropic organizations, such as the Kicks and Ties, for his continued support and dedication to the at-risk youth in Horry County.
- Successfully litigated through trial, plea or settlement cases ranging from murder/attempted murder, kidnapping, rape (criminal sexual conduct), burglary, assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, driving under the influence all the way to slip and falls, car accidents, police misconduct issues, dog bites and countless other drug and violent crime offenses.
- University of South Carolina, BA
- University of South Carolina Law School, J.D.
*Disclaimer: all cases are subject to different outcomes and any previous award or disposition is not an indication of how any current or future case may result.
If you need assistance of an attorney, you should consult with an attorney licensed in your state. If you need the assistance of an attorney in South Carolina, please contact The Law Office of Jonny McCoy by telephone at 843-848-7325 or by email.